- Deep Tissue Massage is a massage technique that focuses on the deeper layers of muscle tissue to release the chronic patterns of tension in the body. It helps loosen muscle tissue, release toxins from muscles and get blood and oxygen circulating properly.
- Sports Massage is a special form of massage and it is typically used before, during and after athletic events. The purpose is to prepare the athlete for peak performance, to alleviate or reduce fatigue, to relieve swelling, to release muscle tension, to promote flexibility and to prevent injuries.
- Trigger Point Therapy is a bodywork technique that involves the applying of pressure to tender muscle tissue in order to relieve pain and dysfunction in other parts of the body. Sometimes massage and trigger point therapy are performed together.
Sports massage is a form of deep tissue massage, designed to help prevent injuries and improve performance. It is particularly useful for those undertaking intensive training for endurance events and running is no exception.
Running consists of repeated contractions of all muscle groups in the legs and even the trunk and arms to propel the body forward and maintain balance as we do so. Repeated contractions over long time periods result in muscle shortening and increased muscle tone or ‘tightness’ as it is often referred to. This is particularly true when increasing the intensity of your training and subjecting the muscles to forces which they are not accustomed to, as when training for a marathon.
Tight muscles can have numerous adverse effects on the way the body functions. Firstly, the increase in tension impairs the delivery of nutrients and oxygen to the cells, as well as the removal of metabolites (by-products of energy production). This means that the muscles do not perform as well and recover and heal slower. Secondly, tight muscles contribute to bio-mechanical issues.
A tight muscle in one area can alter our movement patterns to make up for the inflexibility at the associated joint, resulting in additional strain on other muscles and structures (such as tendons etc). Finally, muscle tension inhibits its extensibility and shock absorbency, predisposing the tissue to strain and so injury.
Sports massage is a treatment form capable of correcting these problems.
- Increases the blood flow to muscle groups, thus increasing nutrient and oxygen delivery for improved healing, recovery and performance.
- Increased circulation also reduces muscle soreness and fatigue.
- Increases muscle elasticity, reducing muscle tone and so improving joint function.
- Breaks down scar tissue and adhesions from old, current and developing injuries.
- Reduces stress by decreasing cortisol levels and increasing serotonin levels.
- Deactivates symptomatic trigger points
Sports Massage for Runners
Whilst it may seem obvious that runners usually require sports massage work on their legs, there are certain areas which tend to require particular attention in order to prevent typical running injuries occurring.
To contact Amanda call 086 1593170 or click on the Contact Us page